Sunday, February 20, 2011

Online Gaming: So Awesome it's Not

When I was born, the world was a far simpler place. Video games were played on a console you purchased at somewhere like Toys R US. The game were simple and usually 2D. This is not to say they were not challenging, because they sure as hell were. A controller only has four buttons and two shoulder buttons. Games were relatively easy to pick up and play. The controls were highly intuitve.

Fast forward to the present day. Game controllers for an X-BOX 360 are highly complicated. Games tend to be extremely complex to the point where you need ten minutes of instruction before you can even   attempt to play them. Most games have gone online as well. This is a problem. Kids who play online seem to practice roughly ten hours per day until they develop godlike skills.

Apply this ten hour rule to anything else. Guitar? Practice guitar ten hours a day and you know who you might sound like? Jimmy Page. Well not really, but pretty close. I'm not insulting video games. They are awesome. They stimulate the senses and the imagination. They give children a reason to stay off the streets and out of the pool halls.

This post is kind of like existence. It has no intrinsic purpose. But anyway I was just reflecting on my childhood. I'm glad I got to play video games, but I wish I were moderated more. I should have been forced to go outside more and socialize and experience the world. I should have gone outside and ate steaks so I didn't look like the next child Angelina Jolie is waiting to adopt. Maybe she'll adopt me now, since I haven't really changed much. Now that video games are online people are going to spend even more time wasting time. If you were to videotape someone playing for hours, then you would see a person staring a screen moving there thumbs and occasionally getting up to eat and move the washroom. I feel rather unproductive in that state.

Thanks for reading my preachy Public Service Announcement.

No comments:

Post a Comment