Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Google is Going to Rule the World and We are All Powerless to Stop It

Maybe that was a bit hyperbolic. That being said, there is doubt that Google plays a major role in my life. I use Google more on a daily basis than I care to admit. Yes I am lazy, thus it is often the case that when I have a question about anything I just type it into Google and search (such as "is red wine actually good for your heart.") Then in a glorious instant hundreds of thousands of results give me easy access to the knowledge of the entire known universe... or so it would seem.

I experience this moment of disappointment and sheer panic every time my search yields results giving me conflicting information, which is often. Many of the websites seem to be highly lacking in credibility in the first place. Then I have this dilemma where one page says something to the effect of  "red wine will help you lose weight, and live to be 102" and the other page says "red wine will kill you, no doubt." Due to the popularity of Facebook and Wikipedia, there would probably also be a link to a Facebook page supported by red wine enthusiasts with a nice slogan like "RED WINE FTW!!!" and important information about red wine, such as the information that red wine is "epic" and "win." Wikipedia can also help me if I need to know if red wine was used in any anime or video games lately.

Anyhow, I shouldn't be so dramatic and Google actually does make life easier most of the time.Despite these shortcomings, the only time I don't use Google is usually for academic papers, as my professors will come down on my for conduct unbecoming of an North Central College Student or something along those lines.  I am addicted to Google I admit it. Will the withdrawal be as difficult as the others I've experienced? That remains to be seen. Basically I think it's like anything else in life: you have to wade through the sea of mediocrity to finally reach the isle of excellence. Search wisely.

No comments:

Post a Comment