Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Bonus Post: Spike Lee

Am I missing something? What IS in fact the deal with my generation? I mean I'm not even sure the tickets to see Spike Lee were even sold out. They were FREE for students. I mean in California tickets to see Third Eye Blind sold out in minutes and this was circa six years post "Jumper" being a popular song.  I just don't get it. You're only going to live once. Are you going to be walking down the street and just happen to run into Spike Lee and have an hour conversation with him at your local Starbucks while you drink your new Trendetta (or whatever pretentious name they've given it) human stomach sized latte? I sit here typing instead of breaking glass bottles thinking of people at home watching Jersey Shore or whatever it is they were doing that was so much more important than a literally once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

OK maybe I'm being a little bit of a curmudgeon, but the point remains. Spike Lee gave a hilarious speech. He also used profanity and racial slurs quite a bit. I think this may have shocked some of the more conservative audience folk, but I don't want to open that can of worms. Also I must say the the theater seemed to have the most racially and culturally diverse group of individuals I've ever seen come together in Naperville. Kudos.

Getting on to his speech. What is life if not the pursuit of a dream? I don't care what anyone thought they would be when they grew up. I want to ask this question: what did you think you would be doing in college? Shotgunning Pabst Blue Ribbon or listening to a speech by an American auteur? (Note: I obviously don't think these were the only two things people were doing tonight out of the semi-infinite possibilities set forth before a human on any given Tuesday.)

This post is a rant and should not offend those who might take it seriously, but what gives? I just thought people in my age group were more open to and interested in cultural experiences. I guess I thought wrong.

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't get the ticket...Wentz website says the tickets are all sold out last week.

    Maybe some students booked their free tickets with student ID in advance and just didn't show up...

    but...good relevant post! I am glad you took advantage of this great opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting because I also heard they were sold out, which may have discouraged students to get last minute tickets.

    The reason I didn't go, wasn't that I don't care about cultural events or becoming a better aware person, I just am not a fan of his films.

    I certainly appreciate his right an opinion and work. I do not shy away from controversial statements or profanity. I just wasn't bothered to get a ticket because I felt my bias would cloud what I felt about what he had to say. I know this is a fault.

    But I do find it horrible our generation's attitude about the world around them even though I was just as indifferent.

    But then again at least I'm familiar with his work and his views on things. I'm just turned off by his confrontational attitudes at times.

    Anyways that's my babbling reasons!

    ReplyDelete